Wednesday 8 August 2012

DIY: Precious Gems

Being on a tighter budget these days has forced to me re-evaluate things that I already have. From the jeans in previous post, to these earrings, I'm trying to make use of what I have in the house and see what I can do with them. These were old prom earrings my mum had stowed away, so I grabbed them, a few bottles of bright nail polish, and a clear top coat and tried my luck!

I started off with these old earrings and three different colours. I think brighter works the best, and looks more realistic. I used China Glaze "Towel Boy Toy", Essie's "Miami Nice"(pink) and "Brazilliant" (Orange).

I used "Miami Nice" for the big jewel in the middle. It has quite a lot of shimmer, so I thought it would work best. I only needed one heavy coat of it. I then continued with "Brazilliant" and  "Towel Boy Toy", creating little blobs and sort of blending them in. They dry just fine this way, and you can always clean it up later! I then covered everything with a clear coat once it was dry. 

TIP: Make sure to paint around the edges. The stones are shiny and will reflect the colour everywhere, making it look like you've painted everything when you might not have.

And that's it! Super easy, and really fun too. I'll actually reach for these earrings now that they have a bit of colour. I also dipped a cotton swab into nailpolish remover to clean it up a bit (you can see they were a bit messy in the first photo).

Try it out! And show me if you do!

No comments:

Post a Comment