Tuesday 7 August 2012

Tie Dye Denim

I mentioned in my last post my recent fixation with denim. I tried on a pair of Ralph Lauren bleach-dyed jeans but quickly inspected that they were something that I could easily do myself (that, and my internship this summer, while great, meant that I didn't really have the funds to purchase them that day anyways). I remembered seeing a tutorial by Honestly WTF and quickly ransacked my closet to find a pair of jeans I wouldn't mind ruining if my project went amiss. So, following their instructions, I grabbed the necessary tools (gloves, a rubber bucket, elastics, bleach, a pair of jeans), and set to work. It was super easy, but I would take caution: make sure you do it outside, or in a well-ventilated, clean space, because even when you are being super careful, the bleach does tend to get into the work space. Also, like they suggested in their tutorial for the sleeves of their denim shirt, I folded the pant legs into an accordian shape and then sort of crumpled the rest together. Be mindful when doing this-- some parts of my jeans were way more bleached than other parts because of the way I crumpled them. It looks cool, but I do wish it had been more even.

That's it really. It was super simple, and looks pretty freakin' cool. So give it a shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment